I’m Ian Ross, I live in Pöllan in Austria with my partner Rita and our beagle mix Winnie.
I started out as a physicist, but more recently I’ve been working as a freelance programmer and data analyst. I’ve worked in programming-centred jobs for about 20 years, in fields as diverse as climate model development, programming language tools, and sonar (naval and scientific). I’ve also spent a lot of time thinking about effective scientific data visualisation: there is a portfolio of selected images here.
I now work for Memcachier.
Things I’ve been paid money for
- Web apps
- Climate & vegetation modelling
- Data visualisation
- Applied dynamical systems
- Parallel programming
- Machine learning & dimensionality reduction
- Statistical modelling
- Scientific data analysis
- Naval sonar performance analysis
- Scientific sonar data analysis and interfacing
- Distributed applications & low-level network programming
- GUI programming
- Programming language tools
- Atmospheric radiative transfer
Other things I know about
- Functional programming (especially Haskell)
- Other LISPs (Common Lisp, Clojure)
- Metalworking & workshop engineering
- Mechanical design (AutoCAD)
- Forth, some DSP assembler